David and Tamler go ambulance chasing for scandals in their own fields. Inspired by a tweet from Jay Van Bavel, they argue about which of their disciplines--philosophy or psychology--is more completely and irredeemably fucked. Is the recent controversy at the feminist philosophy journal Hypatia diagnostic of larger problems in philosophy? Can the replication crisis ever be solved? Can philosophy return to studying the big questions? What can psychologists actually discover about the human mind?
Warning: this episode features a more respectful and mature dialogue than some VBW listeners may be comfortable with.
- Jay Van Bavel on Twitter: "Psychologists: "our field is a hot mess" Philosophers: "hold my beer" https://t.co/mX344fBBfV"
- EP. 86 SAM HARRIS Part #1 by #WeThePeople LIVE | Free Listening on SoundCloud
- Leiter Reports: A Philosophy Blog: Issues in the Profession
- This Is What a Modern-Day Witch Hunt Looks Like
- The real damage done by the flare-up over a philosopher's journal article (essay)
- The Nastic Gospels | Peez
- Brian Nosek's Reproducibility Project Finds Many Psychology Studies Unreliable - The Atlantic
- Inside Psychology’s ‘Methodological Terrorism’ Debate -- Science of Us
- Replication studies: Bad copy : Nature News & Comment
- Repeat After Me - by Maki Naro
- sometimes i'm wrong [Simine Vazire's blog]
- The Hardest Science [Sanjay Srivastava's Blog]
- The 20% Statistician [Daniël Lakens' Blog]
- The Black Goat – A podcast about doing science
- You Are Not So Smart