How Many Moralities Are There? Pt. 2 (with Jesse Graham)
About This Episode
Jesse Graham joins us for part 2 of our discussion on the nature of morality, and his recent paper on Moral Foundations Theory. He highlights the key components of MFT, defends himself against our accusations of weaseling out of the normative implications of MFT, champions "Synechdoche, New York" as one of the greatest films ever made, and comes out of the closet as a rationalist. Also in this episode, Tamler begins to defend Sam Harris (you read that right) from Dan Dennett's criticisms of Harris' Free Will--and then we pull back and realize that we need to devote a whole episode to Dennett's review.
- Dan Dennett's review of "Free Will" by Sam Harris [naturalism.org]
- Free Will by Sam Harris [amazon.com affiliate link]
- Jesse Graham's lab website [usc.edu]
- Moral Foundations Theory: The Pragmatic Validity of Moral Pluralism by Jesse Graham et al.
- Synechdoche, New York (RIP Phllip Seymour Hoffman!)