Lies, Damned Lies, and Ashley Madison
About This Episode
David and Tamler return after an end of summer hiatus to finally talk
about the ethics of deception….eventually. But first they break down
a recent article in the journal Science documenting an attempt to replicate
100 recent psychology experiments. What does it mean that just
over 1/3 of the studies were successfully replicated? Is social
psychology in crisis or is this just how science works? Will David
somehow try to pin the blame on philosophers?
Plus--a brief and almost certainly regrettable foray into the Ashley
Madison hack, the neuroscience of lying to your kids about Santa, and we announce
a new way to contact us to help celebrate our 75th anniversary.
- Authors, Shitload of (2015) Estimating the reproducibility of psychological science, Science, 39.
- The Bayesian Reproducibility Project post by Alexander Etz [alexanderetz.com]
- Harris, S. (2013). Lying. Four Elephants Press. Buy on Amazon
- Bok, S. (2011) Lying: Moral choice in public and private life. Vintage, 2011. Buy on Amazon
- Santa on the Brain by Kelly Lambert [nytimes.com]
- James Randi (aka "The Amazing Randi") [wikipedia.org]
- An Honest Liar [anhonestliar.com] (Available on Netflix in the U.S.)
- The Honest Truth about Dishonesty [amazon.com affiliate link]
- (Dis)Honesty – The Truth About Lies [thedishonestyproject.com]
- Exit Through the Gift Shop [wikipedia.org]
- F for Fake [imdb.com]